May 16, 2013

Knit to learn

Last fall I became a member of a great knitting community, the Knitting Guild Association (TKGA). I did this to be able to become... a master knitter.
The TKGA offers the so-called "Master Program", a knitting program in three levels that makes the participant enhance theirs knitting skills by themselves, knitting several swatches using different techniques. Every technique has to be researched and questions have to be answered about it.

Right now, I'm in the middle of Level 1, have knit about 2/3 of the swatches and have learned lots already. All the little things that bugged me (or not) about my knitting for years. I have learned
  • To cast off without this ugly elongated stitch at the end of the row
  • How to get better, evener tension in stockinette stitch
  • Getting a cast on and a cast off that match in tension
  • About differences in tension in stockinette, garter stitch and seed stitch
Some more adventures are yet before me and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm planning to blog some more about what I'm doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment